How do you look up the credentials of a CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNER™ (CFP™)? Head to the website www.cfp.net to look up individual advisors.
Here you can learn about an advisor’s:
- Current certification status
- Disciplinary history
- Bankruptcy history dating back 10 years
From the www.cfp.net homepage:
- Click FIND A CFP PROFESSIONAL, located in a black box in the upper right corner of the page.
- Click the Verify Your Advisor’s Status >> link, located below the Find Your CFP® Professional search box.
- Scroll down slightly to enter the advisor’s last name (Van Metre in our example)
- Scroll down to select the advisor’s state of residence from the drop-down menu